Saturday, June 15, 2013

Wine and Lilly Guest Blog: Whitney Wilder

Hello Confessions of an Entertaining Hostess readers! My name is Whitney and I am honored Meredith invited me to guest post on her blog today! I just love all of Meredith’s clever and classy party ideas, because let’s be honest…entertaining is hard work! But…there is nothing better then the perfectly-put-together get-together! I made these Lilly fabric wine glasses for a bridal shower my mom and I recently hosted. I think these glasses went perfectly with the “beachy” theme without going overboard!


Supplies you will need: 
Fabric (I cut up old Lilly pants to use but any bright and fun fabric will work!)
Wine glasses
Tacky glue
Sponge brush
Sharp scissors
X-Acto knife
Paint brush
Varnish / sealant
Sharpie pen or fabric marker

Step 1: Making Tacky-Glue adhesive: (2 parts Tacky Glue with 1 part water)
Use sponge brush to mix water and glue together. This takes some time because the tacky glue is so thick.
 *To be honest I never measured exactly. I just mixed until the glue was translucent (rather than white) when applied to the glass and I made sure mixture felt “gummy” between my fingers.

Step 2: Cut Fabric
Using the bottom of your wine glass as guide, use marker to draw a large circle around the base onto the fabric. It is important that your fabric circle is larger than the wine glass bottom so the fabric sticks to the glass.




Step 3: Apply fabric to wine glass!
Using the sponge brush paint a layer of the tacky glue mixture onto the base of the glass and place fabric so that the design will show through.43 Then apply mixture to back of fabric, making sure to soak the entire fabric circle with glue. (The excess fabric will dry paper-like and fabric will not fray as you cut it!)  

Step 4: Remove air bubbles (Helps fabric stick to glass & prevents wrinkling)
Using you finger, start at the middle of the glass base and drag your finger towards the edge ensuring all air bubbles get removed. Helpful hint: As you remove air bubbles, flip glass right-side up and you will be able to see the air bubbles so you don’t miss any!

Step 5: Let dry & apply finishing coat
Allow glasses to dry upside down for about four hours. Before you remove excess fabric, apply 1 coat varnish of choice to fabric. When that varnish coat dries, remove excess fabric cutting as close to the glass as possible. Then apply another coat (or two) of varnish.

Step 6: Remove excess varnish and glue
Using the X-Acto knife, remove excess varnish or glue that may of accumulated on the sides of the glass base. I also used the X-Acto knife to trim any excess fabric from base of the wine glass.






Not many things I love more then Wine & Lilly! Happy crafting! –Whitney

(Thanks so much for letting me share this Whitney! You are the best! xOxO - M)

No comments:

Post a Comment